Getting round the pesky U-bends of Life
Life would be so much easier if we could just see over the camel’s hump, and realise that at the very moment when we feel like giving up, we are only metres from the finish line. If we could only trust that round those pesky U-bends in life is a gorgeous sun waiting to give us a big hug! Or as one sage teacher of mine once opined: “Joy is an interval between two sorrows” Ouch!
There have been times in my life where I have definitely felt like giving up and those moments are when (I now realise) I’ve been the closest to achieving what I started out to do. When I was only 10 minutes from completing the editing and laying out my first children’s story, I felt as if I was drowning in quicksand. The effort it took to finish was incredible. But I forced myself. I made the effort.
The minute we hear our inner voice saying: “I can’t be bothered” is the beginning of a slippery slope. A slope that leads us away from creating what we’d love, from engaging with the people that we’d love to have in our lives – and most fundamentally – it stops us from engaging with our Selves, and life. Not a wise move.
So what can you do to ensure you keep going around the U-bends of life?
1. Don’t ever, ever give up (unless it’s an abusive relationship or something else that is making you very ill – emotionally and mentally).
2. Check in with your feelings. Are you scared of failure? Of success? Of being judged? Acknowledge these feelings and realise that they have arisen from thoughts that aren’t necessarily true. You are simply projecting your fears into an imaginary future that hasn’t even happened yet!
3. Take a break. Go and do something physical like a brisk walk – or if you’re feeling angry go punch a few pillows (works for me every time!).
4. Allow yourself to be imperfectly perfect. You don’t have to be number one. You just have to do your very best. That is always good enough. Stop competing.
5. Have faith. Yes, I know the very word conjures up religious connotations but having faith in something greater than yourself is a powerful way of being. Have a try.
If you tend to give up when the going gets tough, then try some of the above tips. We’d love to hear how you get on – sharing your own experiences with other readers helps to inspire them too. You can leave a voice message on our website landing page or write to me at: gina@actionpodcast./com
Have a great week!